If your lorry breaks down, consider safety, first: Here's an uncomplicated safety and security guide from GEM Motoring Assist, the leading UK motorist based road safety association.
Consider your very own safety and security
- get your lorry off the road when possible
- ensure your travelers are secure which pets are maintained under control.
Advise various other road customers
- advise other traffic by utilizing your threat advising lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction
- placed a caution triangular on the roadway at the very least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your damaged down lorry on the same side of the roadway, or make use of various other allowed warning devices if you have them. Always take fantastic care when placing them, yet never ever utilize them on motorways as this may place you at risk from approaching traffic
- maintain your sidelights on if it is dark or exposure is poor
- do not stand (or allow any person else stand) between your car and approaching traffic
- in the evening or in bad visibility do not stand where you will certainly protect against various other roadway individuals seeing your lights
- wear a reflective/fluorescent coat or tabard.
Calling for assistance
- do not use mobile phones if there is a threat from petrol spillage or fumes
- call the emergency situation solutions by calling 999 or 112 (new worldwide emergency code), or if you are a member call GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover or other malfunction organisation
- offer clear instructions of your basic location: road number, direction of travel and specific regional landmarks will help your rescue
- additionally inform them your car kind and colour, enrollment number and just how numerous individuals remain in the lorry
- an indication of the source of the break down will additionally help
- when aid gets here, request proof of identification.
On Motorways-- safety and security
Leave the motorway at the nearest departure or pull right into a solution area. When this is not feasible:
- utilize your signs or hazard warning lights and draw on to the difficult shoulder. Stop as much to the left as feasible, with your wheels turned to the left
- try to quit near an emergency telephone (every mile on the difficult shoulder) with the front guest door as close to the phone as possible
- you should leave the car by the left-hand passenger doors
- wear a reflective/fluorescent coat or tabard
- do not cross the carriageway to reach a closer phone it is much safer to wait on the verge. (Remember, 10% of motorway crashes are crashes with cars parked on the hard shoulder.).
- do not leave the type in the automobile. If feasible, lock all the doors except the front passenger door, which you need to leave totally open so you can return in swiftly if requirements be.
- keep passengers away from the carriageway and children in control. Make sure youngsters are safe-- do not leave them in the auto on their own.
- if you are a disabled or elderly individual, or have little children with you, you may choose it is a lot more reasonable to remain in the car. If so, park it as close to the edge as possible.
- you have to leave animals in the automobile, with windows just much enough to allow air. Just allow them out of the vehicle in an emergency situation, but keep them under appropriate control on the edge.
- do not try also straightforward fixings and also do not leave the car hood website open.
On Motorways-- getting aid.
- walk to the nearby emergency telephone, complying with the arrowheads on the pen posts every 100 metres at the rear of the hard shoulder. Phone calls are free and connect directly to the Police - they will recognize where you are. Stand behind the phone and also watch out for passing traffic, or any individual approaching you.
- offer complete details, likewise inform them if you really feel at risk. Tell them the variety of your breakdown organisation, your car enrollment and the number revealed on the nearby marker message.
- return as well as wait near your lorry, ideally behind the barrier on the freeway embankment.
- when help arrives, request for ID and also examine that the failure individual knows your name.
- NEVER enter an auto with a stranger or attempt to drawback a lift.
- if somebody uses assistance, remain inside your automobile with the doors locked (keep windows partially open) as well as ask to phone your malfunction organisation for you.
- if a vehicle quits while you are awaiting assistance as well as you really feel worried, remain in the guest seat of your vehicle as well as lock the door. Phone the Police as well as provide them the auto's enrollment number.
- when rejoining the freeway, constantly raise rate on the tough shoulder and also watch for a safe gap in the traffic.